Friday, February 27, 2009

Diet Soda Cake


Yes, that's right. Diet Soda. It can take the place of the oil in a regular cake mix. Why is this not common knowledge? Why do I have to search the seedy underbelly of the Internet to find this information? I'm going to blame it on BIG OIL. Those greedy, hatemongering executives in the big vegetable oil industry want to profit on your need for cake. It can never be found out that this simple, no calorie substitution can be made or those big oil CEOs will have to say goodbye to their ginormous bonus this year. Well...let's not get carried away. They'll probably still get the bonus, but sales will be down and there will be massive lay-offs in oil plants across the nation. But...to ease your conscience about that, just think about the boost that BIG DIET SODA will get from this info. I'm just trying to do my part.

Well that was fun.....

I had to try this diet soda thing out, so I decided to try a Devil's Food and Diet Orange soda cake. I've always loved the whole chocolate and orange flavor combination. My mom's favorite flavor of ice cream was Swiss Orange Chip from Swenson's. I think she got it every time we went there. It was chocolate ice cream with bits of Swiss chocolate that had a hint of orange. Divine! My dad was into Trader Joe's Orange Sticks. Santa always knew to leave him some in his stocking. So this was my ode to some crazy, genetic attraction to orange and chocolate.

Diet Soda Cake

1 box of cake mix (any flavor)
10 oz. diet soda
2 egg whites, lightly whipped

Combine cake mix and diet soda. Add egg whites and blend with beater according to package directions. Pour into sprayed cake pan or muffin tin and bake according to cake box directions. My oven may cook very hot, but my cupcakes were ready to come out at about 10 minutes. So, watch your time as to not overcook.

The orange flavor was very subtle and really wouldn't be noticed unless you were looking for it. It will be fun to try different combinations of cake and soda. Hummmmm.....let's see. Diet root beer and white cake. Diet Sprite and yellow or lemon cake. Possibilities are endless.

WW points: If the cake was cut into 12 pieces, each piece would be 4 points. Not bad, but if you make mini muffins size cupcakes you can lower the points and just have a nice taste of something sweet for 1 point.

TAKE THAT BIG OIL!



14 comments:

  1. Thanks for this great tip, I have just started WW so I will try this! This is a great site, I am adding it to mine. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing...very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting I have never heard of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your creativity! I saw a cake mix yesterday that was made partly with Splenda - I think that would be a good one to put with the diet soda to cut even more calories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I never knew that! Geesh, now I really need to try out your recipe as I get sick and tired of always using fattening oil. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found you - and just joined weight watchers to help drop a few lbs gained after getting married 3 years ago. Your blog looks like a great lifeline for a baker!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've tried this - surprisingly good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. BRILLIANT!!!!!!!! Imagine the possibilities! Just brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We make a Dr. Pepper cake with German Chocolate cake mix...it's ghetto fabulous! But it's not diet : ( Haven't tried it w/ Diet Dr. Pepper yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried this with mini cupcakes (11 min) and the normal size cupcakes (13 min). I was surprised how light and airy they were. I used diet Orange Crush (I know this bumped up the carbs) with low sugar yellow cake mix. Very yummy! Even my husband loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm trying this recipe tonight! I had no idea that this would work. I've used applesauce in place of oil but never anything else. This is an excellent tip for us since we always have diet soda in the house.

    I love your cupcake picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made mini loafs out of mine and added chocolate chips to my devil's food cake and diet cola. You can see it here: http://tamiskitchentabletalk.blogspot.com/2009/07/mini-diet-cola-cake-loaves.html

    They were delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is pretty interesting. I would love to try this one. Never tried some baking with soda.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on Cheat Day Cafe!