Friday, March 13, 2009

Sweet Mrs. Smith's Baked Oatmeal




Lately, I've been hearing a lot about how good baked oatmeal is. I guess I've never been "into" oatmeal that much, unless it has a bunch of brown sugar on it. That kind of defeats the purpose of a healthy, oatmeal breakfast though. I might as well just eat my cocoa crispies and be done with it.

Well, a very sweet patient brought this recipe to work for baked oatmeal and it was already lightened up.

Mrs. Smith always comes in the office with her husband and we talk about American Idol, Dancing with the Stars and other celebrity gossip while I do her ultrasound. I love how Reality TV transcends all ages and demographics. Mrs.Smith is, what those concerned with political correctness might call, a "mature American" and she is up on all that stuff. Her husband always helps her up from the table after her treatment and she always says, "thank you" to him. They are so sweet.




Back to the recipe....

It uses unsweetened applesauce in place of any fat and whole recipe is only 7 points! It has a dense, cakey consistency and I actually quite liked it. I paired it with some scrambled eggs for protein. Eggs and oatmeal together make a great breakfast that will ward off hunger. The protein, fiber and carbohydrates keep your blood sugar level and help you feel full longer. Try it this weekend for something new.



Sweet Mrs. Smith's Baked Oatmeal

Mix together:
1/3 unsweetened applesauce
1 egg
1/4 cup Splenda
dash of cinnamon

Add:
2 c. quick oats
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup skim milk

Pour into a greased loaf pan (9x4x4) and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Cut into 6 pieces and each piece is a just little over 1 point. (1.17 to be exact)

I put a little drizzle of maple syrup over mine for fun. Hey, at least it wasn't a bunch of brown sugar!

Now, I better go watch my DVR recording of American Idol from this week so I can dish with Mrs. Smith.

Melody, out!

1 comment:

  1. Cant wait to try this. Love all your recipes. I love your blog melo.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on Cheat Day Cafe!