Sunday, August 2, 2009

Oreo Cake


This week we celebrated my husband's birthday with this delicious cake. I usually ask him what he wants for his birthday cake, but this year I already knew what I wanted to make. I showed him this delicious Oreo cake with chocolate frosting I wanted to make for him that I found on Julia's blog called Dozen Flours.

You know what he said? He said, "I don't want chocolate frosting." Are you kidding me???? He actually was more in the mood for the frosting that I use on my Butterfinger cake. So, since it was his birthday, I decided that I better make an effort to make what he wanted. But, I still wanted to try that Oreo Cake, so I had to make some changes.

The only change I really had to make was that instead of the white cake mix, I went for the Devil's Food Cake mix so that there would be a real contrast of flavors between cake and frosting. I also thought this cake would be great with my Cookies and Cream Frosting, but again....I had to honor the birthday boy's wishes!

I also was able to use the cake stand that was my Grandma's. It is so pretty with the scalloped edge and the floral etching. But my favorite thing about it is the little peice of tape on the base with her name, written in her own handwriting. I miss my Grandma....

Oreo Cake

For the cake:

Enough Oreos to equal 2 1/4 cups of chocolate cookie crumbs (about 24)
1 package (18oz) of devil's food cake mix with pudding in the mix
1 cup water (room temperature)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs, at room temperature

Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray two 9" cake pans with Pam for baking or grease with shortening and dust evenly with flour, tapping out the excess. Set the pans aside.

Grind the cookies in a food processor and process them until you have a fine crumb. You'll need 2 1/4 cups of crumbs total.

Place the cake mix, water, eggs, and oil in a large mixing bowl and mix on low speed for 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium and mix for another 2 minutes. Add the cookie crumbs and mix on low for 15 seconds or so until all the crumbs look evenly distributed.

Pour the batter evenly between the two pans and smooth the tops. Bake both pans in the oven, side by side, and bake about 25-30 minutes until a cake tester in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove the cakes from the oven and cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pans and invert onto the rack. Then invert each cake again so they continue to cool right-side-up. Allow to cool completely 30 minutes more.

For the frosting:

1 cube butter or margarine
1 cup powdered sugar
8 oz. Whipped Topping

Melt butter and mix with powdered sugar. Fold in whipped topping.

For assembly:

Slice each cake horizontally (if desired) so you have 4 layers of cake. Place a little bit of frosting on the bottom of your cake plate to keep the bottom layer from moving. Place one of the cake slices cut side up on the plate. Top with some frosting and smooth to about 1/2" from the edge. Repeat the process with the remaining 3 layers. Then frost the top and sides of the cake. Decorate the cake with reserved cookies, cookie crumbs or any way your heart desires.

This cake needs to be refrigerated. Enjoy!

Now....what am I going to make for MY birthday cake at the end of this month?
post signature

26 comments:

  1. i could jump into the computer and eat the whole thing! this looks divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks sooooo good. We love oreos in this house. The difference in the color of the layers is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. chocolate cake with white frosting is my all time favorite cake combo and then throw in oreos - guh-danga ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! Can't wait to try out that icing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so heavenly delicious! And so pretty. I bet it was really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made the same one from Julias blog, with the choc frosting though:).. yours looks fabulous!! Such perfect layers! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so good! I've tried the white oreo cake with the chocolate frosting. I'll have to try your variation, it sounds just as yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOWie! now that is some cake!! that looks so good. I love chocolate cake with white frosting.

    By cube of butter,do you mean 1/2 cup? They sell butter differently over here but I can cut it up the way Im used to if I know the exact measurment. Im going to make this cake..just homemade since they dont sell cake mixes here..ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like your husband was onto something--that cake looks delicious!!! Anything with Oreos is a winner at our house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks awesome! My daughter saw it on here and revoked her request for Cold Stone ice cream cake for her 8th birthday and asked for this instead! Going to save me some serious dough!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That is one delicious looking cake!

    So glad Melissa won too - I mean, I am pretty sure that 96% of all FoodTV viewers are women with kids!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yummy! Oreos are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, I'm Sare from Chilton Kitchen. I don't know how you found me (MMB?), but I am so glad you left a comment on my blog because your blog is awesome and I can't wait to try your recipes. This looks ...wow...Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i ♥ your blog! Thanks for stopping by mine! Yours is going on my list! Aloha!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooohhhh! I bet your Oreo cake tastes as good as it looks! Great job =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for checking out my blogs! my mom told me all about your site too :) and i LOVE IT!
    this oreo cake has me smiling from ear to ear...i just might have to make it! yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seriously...this looks delish! I can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lucky husband! I hope you get the chance to make another one...this time with the cookies and cream frosting! It sounds out of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That cake looks so soft and moist. Looks like the best comfort food ever! Mmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  20. YUM!!! We love Oreos so I'm sure we would love that cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks amazing! I love anything with Oreos!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have been wanting to make this ever since I saw you first post it. I finally made it today for my son's 20th birthday. It was a big hit. Everyone loved it, especially my husband. Thanks for sharing....again :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on Cheat Day Cafe!