Friday, August 14, 2009

South Dakota

As if that is your real name.......

Yes, South Dakota is the real name of this amazing simple yet unforgettable dessert. The only reason I can think of for this ridiculous name is that it reminded someone of the Black Hills of South Dakota.

Now I've got that song stuck in my head from Doris Day's movie Calamity Jane. I am a big fan of classic movies and musicals and this is one of my favorites. Enjoy this little tribute:


Funny name aside, this is an all time favorite dessert of my growing up years and now. I remember helping my mom in the kitchen, breaking up the angel food cake and sneaking a few morsels here and there. Ahhhh, memories.....

I better stop now before I post a video from "Cats!" Enjoy!

South Dakota

1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips

3T. sugar

2 T. water

4 eggs

1 c. heavy cream

1 large angel food cake

Melt chocolate chips, sugar and water on low heat and let cool. Add four egg yolks, one at a time and beat well after each addition. If you are afraid of using raw egg yolks, this step can be omitted. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold into chocolate mixture. Whip cream and also fold into chocolate mixture.

Break angel food cake into medium sized peices and spread 1/2 in 9 x 13 dish.

Spoon 1/2 of the chocolate mixture over 1st layer.

Top with remaining angel food cake peices and pour remaining chocolate over top.

Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.

Can be cut into squares or made individually in parfait glasses.post signature

18 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this before...it looks awesome! I love angel food cake anyway. And chocolate. So why not!? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, yum! I've never seen or heard of this before. I love "memory" treats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a similar dessert with banana pudding when my kids were small; they always loved it ...yours look so good with chocolate!
    Thanks for visiting my blog, so I could find yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen anything like this. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. never heard of it -but it looks ooey gooey and good so bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My diet so doesn't want me to follow this blog. Good thing I am not listening. That desert looks mighty tasty! I've never heard of anything quite like it before. Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of this, either! How delicious! I wouldn't be able to wait 24 hours - little spoonfuls would be missing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angel Food cake is my all time favorite cake by far. Can't go wrong topping it off with chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of or seen these. While I don't like chocolate I'm thinking I could sub in some other "chips". Thanks for sharing!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummm..this looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my...delish! I would probably eat the whole thing! Making this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! This kind of reminds me of bread pudding, but without the moisture!
    Happy Baking to you :)
    -Mini Baker

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy...I will have to try this sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Will you please get your own TV show so I can look and these tasty treats from the comfort of of my couch and dream about them?! Seriously, all of these recipes just look absolutely amazing! I love it!

    -Olivia-

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mercy, what an amazing looking recipe! I'm bookmarking this one. Can't wait to try it! You have lots of great looking recipes on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not a ridiculous name at all! I'm FROM South Dakota, the Black Hills to be exact, so I've got to try this recipe! It does NOT fit into my clean eating lifestyle, but this will be my ONE cheat dessert for the month.

    Love your blog girl, very cute and fun!
    xoxo
    Roxie-Girl

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on Cheat Day Cafe!