Thursday, October 29, 2009

Shrimp Monterey

I tried a new recipe this week. This is another recipe from a patient and it was delicious! I love talking food with certain patients. It is interesting how food is like an international language. We all eat it, we all talk about it and we all love it!

When I lived in Italy I thought it was cute how all the ladies would ask, "What did you eat today?"

They wouldn't ask how my weekend was or ask what I was doing that day, like we do here, but they always asked, "What are you eating today?"

They also had a cute saying that goes like this: You never really know someone until you have eaten a peck of salt together.

I took that to mean that when you eat lots of meals together, you really get to know each other.

I think a peck is about 14 pounds! That's a lot of salt!

I guess I didn't really know my husband all that well before we got married. We celebrated our engagement by going on our second date and only saw each other 19 days during our 6 month engagement. We were on opposite sides of the country.

Our "dates" were on the phone and some of those conversations lasted 7+ hours. Almost 10 years later we are still going strong and eating lots of salt together!

Food brings us all together! And doing this blog about food has introduced me to all of you and I am so happy to know so many talented and truly amazing people.

Here's to food!


Shrimp Monterey

2 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 tablespoons of butter
2 lbs. uncooked shrimp*
1/2 white wine or chicken broth
2 c. (8 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 tablespoons minced parsley

Saute garlic and butter in skillet for one minute. Add shrimp and cook for 4-5 minutes. Transfer shrimp to 11x7x2 in pan and keep warm. Add wine or chicken broth to skillet and boil. Cook and stir for 5 minutes until sauce is reduced. Pour over shrimp and top with cheese and parsley. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Serve over pasta or over grilled chicken breast for a delicious dinner.

*You can used frozen, cooked shrimp. Thaw shrimp in water and then pat dry. Put in the garlic butter and only cook for 2 minutes. Proceed as above.

My husband loved this one. He felt like it was something he would get if we went out to eat. It was a real treat.

post signature

14 comments:

  1. this looks sssssoooooo good!! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good...I really need to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How yummy! I love the Italian saying too - there really is nothing like breaking bread together for friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dish looks amazing, thanks for sharing it. I really enjoyed hearing about the Italian ladies. It's such a cute story with a great lesson. It made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your story :) This shrimp sounds great. My husband and kids love shrimp (I guess I'll eat cereal that night! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds awesome! My Hubs would like this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks awesome!! I love the simple flavors in here...and food is definitely best when shared...and bonds are definitely formed over eating...love it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. How incredibly delicious this is! I love it with all that cheese baked over top! What a sweet love story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my gosh, i LOVE this! i would love to hear more of your story with your husband! my guy and i only knew each other for five weeks before we got married, but when you know, you know right!

    the shrimp looks amazing! i love dishes like this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like heaven on a plate! Can't wait to try it! I think my 19 year old son might even like it more than me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice posting- loved your stories.
    Now this shrimp looks really delicious! Love all that cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a lovely dinner. It always fascinates me to find out others favorite foods.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks very good! I love shrimp and pasta

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum, except for my youngest, we're wild for anything loaded with shrimp! But that's okay because with this dish she'll love the sauce and pasta!

    Thanks for sharing!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on Cheat Day Cafe!