Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Grandma Flora's Fruit Drizzle


This is another treat that I had when I was getting spoiled in Utah.

This is a yummy, sweet and tangy sauce that you can drizzle over a fresh fruit salad. It goes best with bananas, apples, oranges, grapes and grapefruit. I especially love it on the grapefruit! My mom always peeled the grapefruit like an you would a whole apple and then section out the pieces with a knife. It looks so pretty on a salad plate on a piece of loose leaf lettuce. When the salad is all eaten, the lettuce has collected all the sweet juices. That is my dad's favorite part!

You can store this drizzle in a Mason jar in the fridge for months. Just take it out and let it come to room temp before you serve it.

Grandma Flora's Fruit Drizzle

Mix in blender:

2/3 c. sugar

1 t. dry mustard

1 t. paprika

1/4 t. salt

1 t. celery seeds

Add in a very slow stream while blender is running:

1 c. salad oil

Continue adding:

1 t. grated onion

1/3 c. honey

1/3 c. sugar

1 T. vinegar

4 T lemon juice

Blend until smooth. Store in a Mason jar in refrigerator for up to 6 months. Serve at room temperature.

post signature

10 comments:

  1. looks so refreshing and healthful! love the play of the sweet and spicy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an interesting sounding recipe! I've never had fruit with a spicy-ish twist. I can't even imagine what it must taste like. I'm writing this one down to try. I'm excited to taste this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All you have to say is Gramma's __________ (whatever) and you know it's going to be good - this looks fresh and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Items I would have never thought to mix together nor put onto fruit,however it does seam really good looking !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving the sweet and spicy in here, too! How divine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melo, so fun to have this recipe, thanks for sharing. I just made your mom's scalloped potatoes a couple weeks ago and I remembered why I don't make them often... I ate almost half the dish and there are a bazillion calories. SOOOOO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so fresh and lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanted you to know that I've left you an award at my blog http://whatcha-eatin.blogspot.com/
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this sounds very good indeed. What a nice way to dress up a beautiful, fresh fruit salad. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice way to dress up a beautiful, fresh fruit salad.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on Cheat Day Cafe!