Monday, March 23, 2009

Variation on PW's Crash Hot Potatoes

Have you found The Pioneer Woman yet? If not, you need to go there now, turn off your phone, tell the kids to go play in their rooms and have some uninterrupted "me time" in her recipe archive. You can't help but love her and the recipes are for real people like you and me. Her methods aren't difficult and she gives you step by step directions with photos. Love it!


Here is my version of her Crash Hot Potatoes:

6 large red potatoes
Olive oil
Sea Salt and fresh cracked pepper
Basil
Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Boil potatoes for 20-30 minutes until they are fork tender.

In the mean time, prepare a large cookie sheet by covering it with foil. Drizzle olive oil over foil and sprinkle sea salt. Place cookie sheet in the oven to heat the olive oil for about 10 minutes.

When potatoes are done, cut them in half, long ways. Take cookie sheet out of the oven and place the potatoes, cut side down, in the oil. This will give you a beautiful crunchy skin as in picture at the top of this post. Gently smash each potato with a potato masher. Drizzle with olive oil, sea salt, cracked pepper, basil and Parmesan.

Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Eat plain or top with sour cream, ranch or blue cheese dressing.

5 comments:

  1. I love pioneer woman! She has great recipes. Her texas sheet cake is the best. These potatoes look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful. I have a little award for you on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try this one, too! I LOVE potatoes.

    One question... Have you ever had any trouble heating the olive oil to such a high heat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE her Crash Hot Potatoes! Chewy on the outside, soft on the inside. Yumm! I like to use the McCormick Seasoned Black Pepper on them- it has some great kick to it that really compliments the plain potatoes.

    Now I'm craving these again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on Cheat Day Cafe!