Saturday, May 16, 2009

My Favorite Breakfast Casserole



Last week I was in Utah for my brother's wedding. It was so nice to be with my family for such a special occasion.

I flew out by myself and stayed with my mom and dad. It was strange to not have my kids or husband with me, but it was fun to be just a daughter and sister for a few days.

One of the nicest things was enjoying my mom's wonderful cooking. I miss it! We had this awesome breakfast casserole the first night I was there. I quickly took advantage of this very photogenic and scrumptious opportunity.


I highly recommend this casserole for a special brunch or holiday breakfast. It is WONDERFUL!

Note: It needs to be prepared the night before it is to be served.


My Favorite Breakfast Casserole

1/4 cup butter
1/2 lb. fresh asparagus - 1" pieces
1 small/medium red bell pepper (chopped)
1 small/medium onion (chopped)
1 loaf French bread (cubed - 8 cups)
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup cubed ham

Beat together:
1/3 c. honey
8 eggs
2 1/2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Saute:
Asparagus, pepper and onions for 3-5- minutes.

Grease 9 x 13 pan.

Layer:
bread, ham, 1 cup cheese and sauteed vegetables. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Refrigerate overnight.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes (or until golden and puffed), uncovered.

Buon appetito!

A special thanks to Megan at Shabby blogs for the brand new blog design. Isn't it cute? You need to check out her site and blog for lots of free layouts and cute extras for your blog!


Isn't my new signature cute too? Love it!

post signature

11 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks delicious! I'm going to have to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will so haveto try this for my next brunch. It looks absolutely fantastic melody! AND your blog looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the new look of the blog. I need a new look too! What a great breakfast. I would love this

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice trip! This looks SO good, I love the asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM-O... this looks like a wonderful breakfast! I do love your cute signature!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your new blog look! Very cute :o)
    The breakfast casserole looks tasty - I make a similar one that I'll have to post sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so delicious. My in laws are asparagus farmers and it's in season so I'm definately trying this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummo, I am making this weekend, it was so much fun to see you and share all those wonderful memories together, especially meeting you know who! love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks wonderful! I don't like asparagus, but this way I bet I'd eat it anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Asparagus... sounds delish!

    Melody, it isn't too late to take part in "Share the Bounty: Bed & Breakfast".

    Let me know if you'd like to share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks absolutely yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on Cheat Day Cafe!