Monday, November 9, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Bars


I found this recipe in the Taste of Home Healthy Cooking magazine and had to try it. They are still kind of a splurge, but I guess it could be worse!


I love that these started with a cake mix. My daughter loved helping and especially patting the chocolate layer into the dish. This recipe comes together very quickly and it is creamy and soft.

These bars got 10 thumbs up at my house!


Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Bars

Ingredients

  • 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) German chocolate cake mix
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1 egg
  • FILLING:
  • 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

  • In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, oil and egg. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set.
  • For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add egg; beat well. Spread over crust. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and reserved crumb mixture.
  • Bake for 18-20 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.

Nutrition Facts: 1 bar equals 187 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 207 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.

post signature

20 comments:

  1. Wow these look amazing! Based on the name I wasn't expecting them to look so chocolatey - I love chocolate so the more the better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10 thumbs up??? Now thats a great review

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow! Love a cake mix trick...look and sound really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i get the same magazine and i love it! these look to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow there is a chocolatefest going on over here - you are creating cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like when healthy looks (& tastes!) like that!

    Your daughter's a doll....how cute she is posing while baking! :)
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I wish I had some cream cheese at home right now!!! They look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my lord.. these are so going on my to do list. Looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What decadent little treats these are! So rich and chocolaty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUMM-O...so rich and chocolaty, I love it Melody!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I love desserts with cream cheese! Sounds like something I should make for Thanksgiving in two weeks (if I can wait!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, these look so amazing. Your blog rocks and I'd like to let others know about it. Check out my blog for a special something just for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Healthy Cooking, huh? Looks de-lish. It always amazing me the things they call "healthy". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So looking forward to making these!! I just made your corn bread muffins and they are the best and so was the oil less cake! Thanks for the great recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made these yummy gems tonight!!! It is a definite keeper at our hosue. I'm about about to post it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These sound perfectly delicious and your daughter is a doll:D She looks so happy to be helping you. I love the calorie count on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmmm, yummy this is almost illegal, it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Melody!! It's me, Leslie Marben (now Evans) We used to work together at American Fork physical therapy. I can't believe I found you, and in the strangest way too! I stumbled upon your food blog because you left a comment on my good friend Marisa's food blog (what's for dinner)I am making her buttery breadsticks today and I wanted to see the comments that people left and there you were, you had left a comment. I saw your picture next to your comment and looked closly and it was you!! Do you have an email? I would love to chat and catch up on your life. My email is lesmarb@hotmail.com. I would love to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am usually a strict scratch baker, but these yunny looking bars mayy just turn it around!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that it is nice that you are adding the nutritional facts because for some people are very important if they have a problem with some ingredient or they are on diet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on Cheat Day Cafe!