I found this recipe in the Taste of Home Healthy Cooking magazine and had to try it. They are still kind of a splurge, but I guess it could be worse!
I love that these started with a cake mix. My daughter loved helping and especially patting the chocolate layer into the dish. This recipe comes together very quickly and it is creamy and soft.
These bars got 10 thumbs up at my house!
Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Bars
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) German chocolate cake mix
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, oil and egg. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add egg; beat well. Spread over crust. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 bar equals 187 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 207 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.