Friday, May 1, 2009

Mean and Lean BBQ Buffalo Sandwich


About a month ago, my husband bought a buffalo with 2 other friends, had it slaughtered (gulp) and filled our freezer with buffalo burgers, steaks and roasts. I have always heard that buffalo meat was more lean than regular beef, so I was kind of excited to try it. The first thing I made was this delicious BBQ buffalo sandwich. This is a great BBQ recipe that I got from my sister-in-law, Carrie. It goes great with beef, pork or.......buffalo.


Homemade BBQ Buffalo Sandwich

2 T. Liquid smoke
1 C. Ketchup
1/4 C. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 C. Apple cider vinegar
1 C. Packed brown sugar
1 T. Chili powder
1 tsp. Celery seed
1/2 C. Water

Mix together and pour over roast in crock pot. Cook on low for 9 hours. If using leftover roast, cook only for 4 hours. Remove roast, shred with two forks and add back to crock pot and mix in juices. Serve with buns.

Bison burgers are next!

8 comments:

  1. I love buffalo meat, but it is very expensive to get here (I only know of one place over an hour away which you can purchase it). A few years ago my husbands grandpa sent us a buffalo sampler box for christmas. One thing that we learned is that you need to leave it a little rare (and I'm not one for any pinkness in beef). If you cook buffalo steaks well done they are terrible because they aren't as flavorful and they are extremely dry because it is so low in fat. It is also tougher if you cook it well done. Lucky you to have a whole freezer full!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buffalo is becoming more and more popular. I have yet to try it. But I would love to wrap my mouth around your big, thick delicious sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE buffalo meat, and I love BBQ, so this post has me drooling. If I manage to get my hands on some soon, I'm making this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good. I can't believe it's not beef. I've never tried buffalo, but this definitely makes me curious. Yummmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband loves buffalo meat, he can't take his eyes of this sammie!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sandwich looks wonderful! I am friends with your sister Amy--she told me she found my site (sisterscafe) thru your site. Small world! Anyway, she gave me your website tonight at our boys soccer game! I love it and am looking forward to trying your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! These look delicious.....I failed to let you know earlier that I have a blog award for you on my blog! It is the SPLASH award. Come check it out. It's a few posts back! Sorry I didn't come tell you earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious. I've never had buffalo, but I could see making this with beef or pork (or maybe even chicken). Yum. Printing this out. Now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on Cheat Day Cafe!