Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Incredibly Impressive Ice Cream Pie


Mmmmmm.......Ice cream pie!

Need I say more? Not really, but I will anyway.

This is one of my mom's signature desserts. You know...the one that us kids would ask for on our birthdays, when company came over, for Christmas dinner or pretty much any occasion that called for a special dessert.

I loved when she made this at Christmastime with peppermint stick ice cream on top and chocolate on the bottom. It was so pretty and festive for the holidays.

You know....I never liked fruit pies growing up and I think that this Ice Cream Pie is the reason. In my book, ice cream trumps fruit any day of the week!

Do you have a "signature" dessert or other type of food that you are known for? I'd love to know! In the mean time......I give you:

Ice Cream Pie (Makes 2 pies)

What you will need:

2 chocolate cookie crusts

(2) 1/2 gallons of ice cream (I usually put chocolate on the bottom and a different flavor on top)

1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 cup whipping cream (not whipped)

Spoon 1/2 the container of chocolate ice cream in each pie crust. You might need to let the ice cream sit on the counter 5 minutes or so until it is soft before you scoop it into the crust. Put pies into the freezer to harden.

While pies are in the freezer make your chocolate sauce by putting your chocolate chips and whipping cream in a heavy sauce pan. Melt the chocolate until smooth and then let mixture cool to room temp.

Take pies out of the freezer and drizzle chocolate sauce over the 1st ice cream layer. Place back into the freezer to harden chocolate sauce.

When sauce is hardened, remove pies from freezer and spoon 2nd flavor of ice cream on top. I like to mound it more in the center so that it is kind of "dome" like. Drizzle with remaining chocolate sauce. Place in freezer to harden.


When hardened you can put it in a large Ziplock freezer bag to store. Your second pie can keep really well in the freezer until you need it. (if it lasts that long)

This time I put cookies and cream on my first pie and Moose Tracks on my second pie. I had some Reese's Peanut Butter Cups on hand so I chopped them up and put them between the layers and on top of the Moose Tracks pie. It was delicious!

From my family to yours.....I hope you like it as much a we do!

post signature

24 comments:

  1. Oh wow - I can totally see why this is one of your moms signature desserts. I bet it is loved by all! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. This is so incredible looking and easy. This is being bookmarked immediately for use ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really is an impressive dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am drooling all over my keyboard right now!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks Fabulous and can it seriously be that easy??! I love it, my husband would love it, I'll have to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey just found you by way of a comment on Dine and Dish. I love your blog! What a great premise!! This ice cream pie looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be very dangerous for me to make a pie like this, because chances are good I would eat the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I KNOW we would love this...it looks perfect for summertime :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so jealous that you got to eat that...oh my it's to die for! With all these great recipes of yours, I had no choice but to give you an award! It's waiting for you on my blog. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so delicious! Especially the peanut butter cup one! I wish I had one in my freezer right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks crazy good, and it's so simple!
    ... keeper recipe for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This does look impressive! You can never go wrong with ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How simple and I am kicking myself as to why I never made one of these... it looks so good and would be great on these hot nights we have been experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Lordy, that looks great!! Thanks for sharing.
    My mom makes a cappuccino pie that is chocolate cookie crust and Haagan-Daz coffee ice cream. Then, instead of a drizzle, she spreads a whole layer of hot fudge topping on top of the ice cream. It's a winner!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Melody,

    Thanks for stopping by and your comment. I just saw your blog for the first time. Now I know what I've been missing, so I'll be following. Have a great weekend. Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks sinfully wonderful! Love how you mound it up in the middle. Bigger pieces are always better. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW this looks sooo amazing! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a message. I just have to follow you now..I am loving all the recipes you have posted:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummy! I never thought about making ice cream pie myself. Usually we buy it and wish they had better kinds. I am going to have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ice cream is my biggest vice. It is just WAY too good. This recipe looks so yummy; you are making me want ice cream right now!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OH MY GOSH! I gained 5 pounds just looking at the pictures. I'm not sure I'd be safe making this without the whole family coming over. (But then I wouldn't really want to share.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ice cream pie! Not so usual here in Brazil, but it looks like it would be an instant hit!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow - that pie looks delicious! My kids would love it. Thanks for the tutorial! Hope your summer is great so far!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'd take this over a birthday cake in the summer! Looks like heaven :)!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Yummy! This looks delicious! I will be trying it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on Cheat Day Cafe!