Monday, July 6, 2009

Chocolate Chip Corn Flake Cookies

I wanted to post this recipe because it reminds me of my growing up years. Isn't it funny how food can conjure up memories of years gone by?

I grew up with 5 brothers and sisters and my mom always had chores for us to do in the summer. We would come downstairs in the morning and there would be lists taped on the chandelier over the kitchen table for each kid. We weren't allowed to watch TV or play until the chores were done, so we would hurry and get to work so we could watch The Price is Right at 10:00.

One of my favorite chores was making cookies for the family. These were a family favorite. The oatmeal, coconut and cornflakes makes for a chewy and delicious cookie. Enjoy!

Chocolate Chip Corn Flake Cookies

1 c. white sugar

1 c. brown sugar

1 c. shortening

2 eggs

2 c. flour

2 t. baking soda

1/2 t. baking powder

1 t. salt

1 t. vanilla

1 1/2 c. oatmeal

1/2 c. walnuts (optional)

1 c. sweetened coconut

1 c. corn flakes

1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips

Cream sugars, shortening and eggs. Add dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Drop onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 7 -8 minutes or until lightly browned and set.

Sending lots of love to my wonderful parents! Starting today they are dedicating 18 months to serve as missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. They will be at Temple Square in Salt Lake City. I love you Mom and Dad!

post signature

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun recipe with cornflakes and coconut. Yum! Temple square sounds like a pretty cool place to serve a senior mission!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!!
    Thanks for stopping by the Childrens Nest and leaving me a comment! I have tried these choc chip corn flake cookies before and they are to die for! I LOVE the kabobs on the other post...such the cute idea! Hope you have a great day today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of your chores was to bake cookies? That is so cool! I've never seen cookies with cornflake crumbs in them. I bet their crispy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for missions, my husbands parents are in Hong Kong right now--have a ball as they serve.
    Yummy sounding cookie and what a great chore to be given! I was the desigated cookie maker growing up, too. I've tried cornflakes in a cookie once before and they were good. Love the extra crunch and chew. My mom's cc cookie is shortening and not butter as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I love the cornflakes, I bet it add a great crunch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like it adds another dimension to one of my new favorite cookies--the Cornflakes!!!!! LOVE IT!!! I'm definitely taking notes on this one. (: (P.S. My parents are also on a mission--in Mexico...fun stuff!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Temple aquare will be such an awesome mission!

    The cookies look delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These cookies sound fantastic. Love all the different add ins. Must work well together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember the Saturday morning chores too, and my mom always woke us up so early! THese look wonderful! Congrats to your parents!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy!! I love your mom's chore system, I plan to put it in place here for my hubby and girls! : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on Cheat Day Cafe!