Sunday, February 1, 2009

Gooey Yummy Chewy Popcorn Balls

Okay, it is an official "cheat day" post. I have been itching to make these for months now and last night I came up with an excuse. My lesson for Young Women today was on setting short term goals, so I decided to make these as a hand out for the girls to "get on the ball" and start stetting goals. That works, right? They never have to know that I just needed my caramel popcorn fix. This is a great recipe for caramel that I got from my sister, Amy. So, I encourage you to make up some lame excuse to make some of these popcorn balls. You won't be sorry.

Gooey Yummy Chewy Popcorn Balls

1c. Karo syrup
1c. Brown sugar
1c. White sugar
1 stick of butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3-4 batches of air popped popcorn or could try 3-4 bags microwave popcorn

Put first 5 ingredients in a large sauce pan over medium heat and stir until melted and combined. Bring to a boil and stir for five minutes. Be careful to keep stirring so that it doesn't start to burn on the bottom of the pan. Take caramel off the burner after 5 minutes.
Tear a long strip of wax paper and place it on your counter top or table. Fill a large bowl about 2/3 full of popped popcorn and drizzle some caramel over top. Stir the popcorn until the pieces are covered. Add more caramel if it seems too dry. Transfer the popcorn onto the wax paper to cool. Repeat until popcorn and caramel are gone.
To make balls: Coat hands with butter and form popcorn into balls. Cover with plastic wrap.

3 comments:

  1. Oh yes!! Thanks for doing this blog Melody.
    I have little motivation to go out into the snow and run miles every day so I need recipes like the one below. I'm totally going to make those quiches!
    -Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! thanks melo, I love popcorn, you could say I am a popcorn "aholic", every night I have a bowl of caramel popcorn, trying to stay away from my baked goods too.;) This is Awesome, good idea for this blog. I just bought "Deceptively Delicious" by Jerry Sienfelds wife, the recipe book is fun and easy to get good foods into yummy things we enjoy, check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulation Your the Winner of the Cookbook...Please email your address to us so we can mail it to you ! AGAIN CONGRATS MELODY !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on Cheat Day Cafe!